We’re always hearing about the next big thing in improving our health, and many of us are on the hunt constantly for the perfect way to change our lives, lose excess weight and become supermodel-perfect. Unfortunately, there’s no simple, miraculous way to effortlessly become healthy, but there are some easy things that we can do. While proper diet and exercise are mandatory for all of us, there are a few extra little tidbits that you can incorporate into your life that will offer a big reward for a minimum of effort. These include:
- Eat red grapes. They contain reservatrol which is very beneficial to your body, and a recent study found that it may have cancer blocking properties.
- Have your scalp checked for melanoma. A surprising 50 percent of melanomas are discovered during a haircut. Skin cancer that is found on the head or neck can be more deadly than the types that are found elsewhere on the body.
- Eat an apple a day; or if you don’t like apples, try some prunes or cranberries. The skins of these fruits contain ursolic acid which stimulates the body into producing a protein that fights against muscle breakdown. Cranberries in particular have been shown to lower the risk of prostate cancer.
- Stock up on healthy snacks. We often make our snack choices based on what we have in proximity, so if you have a bowl of apples nearby you are more likely to snack on those than the chips in the pantry.
- Stop using artificial sweeteners. These can increase your appetite leading to overeating, weight gain, and can even damage the good bacteria in your intestines. Artificial sweeteners also make your body expect more calories after you eat or drink them.
- Drink more water. Staying hydrated has so many health benefits and it is such an easy thing to do, just substitute that glass of tea for a glass of water.
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic care will help to keep your spine in balance, allowing your body to heal itself better and work more efficiently.
- Walk more. Consider parking your car at the other end of the parking lot when you go to the store. Adding extra steps can help to increase your heart rate, improve your blood flow and burn off extra calories.
What makes these tips so wonderful is that none of them requires very much effort, planning or inconvenience, yet they all can help you become healthier. For advice on how you can incorporate these steps and add even more to your life, talk to your chiropractic team. They know your body and your needs and will be able to make excellent suggestions about other small changes that you can make to improve your health and fitness.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.