You’ll grow almost 1,000 new layers of skin during your lifetime, so if you’ve been less than kind to it, it is not too late to turn back the hands of time. With a little help, you can get the smooth, glowing skin you’ve been dreaming of. Here are eight ways you can improve the appearance of your skin without a lot of work or money.
- Protect your lips. After performing a study, the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery found that less than half of all respondents used lip protection that contains UV blockers. This is unfortunate, because skin cancer that begins on the lips is particularly aggressive.
- When it comes to skin care products, it’s best to save your money. Inexpensive face washes and glycerin soaps are both effective at removing oil, dirt and dead skin without stripping away the natural oils necessary for keeping your skin smooth.
- If purity is important to you, you may want to consider ordering out. European skin care products that make claims about their ecological purity are able to verify their natural origins. U.S. products with the Natural Seal are another smart choice.
- Prevent crows’ feet from getting the chance to get started. People in their 20s can benefit from using a topical retinoid (as long as they’re not pregnant or nursing a baby). Retinoids not only prevent sun damage from starting, it can actually reverse sun damage.
- Change your pillowcase nightly. Dirt, debris and bacteria all live on your pillows and are just looking for the chance to get under your skin. Washing your skin before bed and changing your pillowcase before sleeping will go a long way to controlling acne outbreaks.
- See a specialist. If your skin problems aren’t easily managed by a good cleaning regimen, it may be time to call in the experts. A dermatologist will be able to find the root cause of your skin disorder and provide you with the necessary medication to heal it.
- Learn how to relax. Tense skin can lead to wrinkles and acne. You may not be able to completely get rid of stress in your life, but if you’re facing a particularly tense week, at least you’ll know to give your skin some extra attention.
- Hit the showers. Whenever you sweat, your body produces excess sebum which causes your pores to get clogged up. Bacteria get trapped underneath and before you know it, your skin’s a mess. Make sure you wash after any activity that causes you to sweat.
Keeping your skin healthy may take a little extra effort, but when it comes to caring for your spine all you need to remember is to schedule regular visits with your chiropractic team. Your chiropractor will be able to keep your spine strong and flexible without a lot of work on your part.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.