Want your skin to look younger and fresher for years to come? Then you may want to take some advice from your great grandmother. Decades ago, beauty treatment was gentler than it is today. Women who didn’t have access to Botox or chemical peels had to make do with what they had on hand, and many of their tips survive today. Here are five secrets for fabulous skin without surgery.
- Oil is actually good for your skin. If you’ve been brought up to think that squeaky clean skin is the goal, you’re probably never going to reach your acne-free target. That’s because your body responds to dryness by producing more sebum, which results in more acne. Certain oils are very healthy for cleansing the skin without over-drying.
- You don’t need to scour your face to exfoliate it. In fact, over-scrubbing can be just as damaging to your skin as over-washing. Instead of using chemical-laden products from the drugstore, exfoliate naturally by rubbing fresh fruit like strawberries, pineapple, or mango on your face. The AHAs in these fruits will give you a great exfoliation without overdoing it.
- You are what you eat. A healthy diet can have a bigger impact on your skin than what you put on your face. Drink lots of water and eat a nutritious diet that’s filled with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and your skin will be clearer and healthier looking than you could ever imagine. Bonus: it will also improve your hair and fingernails.
- Chocolate doesn’t cause acne. OK, this one is actually a fallacy that’s been around forever. As a matter of fact, my grandmother warned me away from chocolate when I was a teen. However, studies have never shown a definitive link between chocolate and pimples. And if that’s not enough of a reason to rejoice, dark chocolate may actually be healthy in small doses.
- You don’t need hot water to get your face clean. Why would you treat your face so carelessly? Hot water can dry out the skin, leading it even more susceptible to a variety of skin conditions. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and room-temperature water for best results. A hot shower may be relaxing, but it’s practically a guarantee for irritated skin.
If you’d like to learn more about how to keep your skin healthy and youthful, contact your chiropractic team. Yes, your chiropractor can actually work with you on a wellness plan to clear your skin and help you feel your best. Schedule an appointment today to find out how simple and easy it is to embrace better skin and improved health through chiropractic care.
Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician for all your health related advice.
Photo credit: Used under Creative Commons Licensing courtesy of Jim D
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.