Are you suffering from regular headaches and aren’t sure what’s causing them? Your chiropractic team may be able to help. Ongoing research has determined that adjusting the spine may be an effective treatment for the relief of tension headaches and headaches that originate in the neck. Furthermore, studies are being performed that may indicate that chiropractic care is beneficial for many other types of headache.
The Signs of a Tension Headache
There are two basic types of tension headaches—episodic and chronic. Episodic tension headaches can last anywhere from half an hour to days. Over time, episodic tension headaches can become chronic. Chronic tension headaches last for hours and occur more than half of the month, lasting for at least three months. Symptoms of tension headaches include:
- Dull, aching pain in the head.
- Tenderness in the neck, scalp, or shoulder muscles.
- Sensation of pressure across the forehead.
Tension headaches respond well to chiropractic care. If you’re suffering from tension headaches, your chiropractic team can help.
The Signs of a Headache Originating in the Neck
The medical term for these headaches is “cervicogenic headaches,” and they can cause a world of pain for sufferers. There are many theories as to what causes this type of headache, but most experts believe they’re caused by arthrosis, a history of migraine or advanced age. The mean age of onset of this type of headache is 33 years, but they can occur at any age. Symptoms of cervicogenic headaches include:
- Reduced range of motion in the neck.
- Pain in the neck.
- Unilateral headaches.
- Pain in the arms or shoulders.
How You Can Prevent Headaches
If you’re prone to either one of these headaches, your chiropractic team suggests following these guidelines to manage your pain:
- Take frequent breaks from sitting. If you have a desk job, try to work a few minutes of stretching every 30-60 minutes. This will keep your head and neck flexible.
- Take some time to discover a stress-management technique that works for you. Many people have no idea how to manage stress on their own, which can lead to disastrous health effects.
- Break the clenching habit. If you grind your teeth or clench your jaw when stressed, you’ll be rewarded with pain in your neck, face, and head.
How Your Chiropractic Team Can Help
Your doctor of chiropractic is able to help relieve your pain in many different ways:
- Chiropractic adjustments to improve the function of your spine, which will reduce the stress placed on your system.
- Providing nutritional and exercise advice to help you lose weight and strengthen overworked muscles.
- Offering advice on proper posture, relaxation techniques and ergonomics.
If you’re suffering from recurring headaches, contact your chiropractic team today. They’ll be able to uncover the cause of your pain and work with you on a treatment plan to keep them from returning.
Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician for all health related advice.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.