We normally spend our time here discussing the things that you should do to keep your body fit and running smoothly, but today we’re going to mix things up a little and talk about simple steps you can take to ruin your back. If you want to know how to do long term damage to your spine, just follow these ten tips. They’ll have you in traction in no time at all.
Check Out This Article On Relieving Back and Neck Pain
- Sleeping on your stomach. Many chiropractors insist that this is one of the worst things a person can do to their spine. The pressure that your head places on your neck, and the unnatural positioning guarantees knots and muscle tension upon waking.
- Not warming up or cooling down before exercise. Just 5 minutes of stretching will result in improved performance and more flexible muscles. Neglect warm ups and cool downs, and you may wind up with muscle strains and sprains.
- Dozing off in a lazy boy recliner. Your living room furniture isn’t properly designed to be slept on. If your mattress isn’t comfortable, consider purchasing a new one. Your bedroom set is an investment in your health, so don’t be chintzy.
- Pushing yourself too soon athletically. If you’re new to exercise, you need to be aware of your body’s limitations. Whoever said, “No pain, no gain” was no friend of your spine. Slow and steady is how you need to train.
- On that note, getting carried away with your chores is a great way to wind up bedridden for a few days. You may be anxious to get outside to repair all the stuff you neglected this winter, but you’ve got plenty of time to get it all done. Rome wasn’t built in a day, you know.
- Trampolines. Seriously, how are these things legal? They can often be a recipie for injury.
- Wearing high heels. See above. Who decided that walking around on your tiptoes was sexy, anyway?
- Driving without taking a break. Unless you’re a long-haul trucker, there’s always time for a break. And even if you are a long-haul trucker, you still need to pull over and stretch those muscles occasionally.
- Don’t take your health seriously. Filling up with junk food, smoking cigarettes, forgoing exercise and living on espresso instead of getting a solid seven hours of sleep a night are all great ways to do a number on your spine and the rest of your body.
- Skipping your chiropractic appointments. Even if you’re in great shape, you still need to visit your chiropractic team occasionally to make sure your body stays in alignment. Skip too many and your body will repay you with pain and stress.
There you go, ten fool-proof ways to destroy your spine easily and effectively. Of course, if you’d like to keep your body healthy for a few more decades you can look at this list as the things to avoid. Talk to your chiropractic team and find out how you can keep your body strong and healthy for years to come. Your spine will thank you.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.