When you’re overweight, it can seem like taking off those extra pounds is an insurmountable challenge. An average American male has a BMI of 26.5 and females have an average of 29. A typical American woman weighs almost 165 pounds, 25 pounds more than the average American woman in 1960. At this rate, our grandchildren’s average weight could be over 200 pounds as adults!
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, the percent of people with a BMI of 25 has increased dramatically since 1988 and this trend is expected to continue in the future. Furthermore, they warn that obesity can cause a variety of health problems, including:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol levels
- Breathing problems
As weight increases, so do the health risks. Even a few extra pounds will increase your chances of life-threatening diseases. Fortunately, the reverse is also true; taking off just 10 pounds can dramatically reduce your health risks. If you need a little motivation, here are 10 very good reasons why you should drop those extra 10 pounds:
- Your memory will improve. A recent study showed that women scored one point lower on a memory test for every unit higher on their BMI.
- Your mood will get better. Moving into a new clothing size is a great way to feel more confident and may even help relieve depression.
- It will increase your chances of fertility. Even a few excess pounds can wreak havoc on your progesterone levels, which can prevent ovulation.
- You’ll earn more money. Overweight women typically earn about $10,000 less each year than their coworkers of average weight.
- You’ll reduce your risk of diabetes. Experts say that getting rid of five to 10 percent of your body weight can reduce your risk by up to 60 percent.
- You’ll reduce your risk of developing dementia. Belly fat contains cells that release inflammation causing chemical reactions in the body, which can cause memory loss.
- You’ll sleep better. Overweight and obese people run an increased risk of developing sleep apnea. Disturbed or low quality sleep can cause an array of health issues.
- Your joints will hurt less. Carrying around extra weight places a lot of extra pressure on your joints. Losing 10 pounds is the equivalent of taking 30 pounds of pressure off your knees.
- You’ll be more agile. This means you’ll have an easier time keeping up with your kids, as well as maintaining an active social life.
- Achieve your goals. If you have a lot of weight to lose, it’s easier to lose it in 10 pound increments than looking at the 30, 40, or even 100 pounds you have to lose. 30 pounds is a lot to focus on, but when you break it down into 10 pound increments, weight loss won’t be as daunting.
For many who are overweight, it’s not that hard to lose 10 pounds, but the health benefits are incredible. If you need information on how to safely take off those extra pounds, contact your chiropractic team or primary care physician. They’ll be able to explain how extra weight is harming your body and how you can safely take it off.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.