Foods are always falling in and out of fashion. Red meat, sun dried tomatoes and gelatin dishes were all once considered to be timeless choices. Tastes change and so does nutritional information. However, here are 15 food items that are timeless as well as healthy. Behold the 15 healthiest vegetables ever:
- Bok Choy- This cabbage-like veggie goes in and out of fashion every few years. Not because it’s not a great choice for dieters, but because it just gets forgotten. It may not be an exciting food, but it’s packed full of vitamins A and C, along with magnesium, folate and potassium.
- Onions- There’s more to onions than a great accompaniment to a burger. Onions are filled with vitamin C and folate. They’re also a powerful antioxidant and they taste great too. Almost every meal is better with a little onion in it.
- Eggplant- Filled with antioxidants, fiber and potassium, the eggplant is a purple powerhouse that’s extremely versatile. They make a great dip when roasted and who doesn’t love eggplant parmesan?
- Squash- When’s the last time you had some squash? This is another veggie that gets forgotten a lot, which is a shame. Squash is a great source of beta-carotene and vitamin C. It’s also filled with anti-inflammatory properties to ease arthritis.
- Swiss chard- This spinach alternative is turning up on a lot of plates lately and with health benefits including a hefty amount of iron and vitamin C, there’s no doubt that we could all do with a little more of this leafy green.
- Brussel sprouts- If you want the vitamin B, C, K and omega-3 fatty acid punch that brussel sprouts boast but don’t like the flavor, change up the way you cook them. Most people cook them for too long, resulting in a flavorless mush. Instead, try roasting them!
- Broccoli- This vitamin-packed vegetable is the only one I could get my son to eat as a child without an argument. Dip them in a tiny amount of ranch dressing for a zingy taste to accompany the cancer-fighting and immune-strengthening benefits.
- Sweet potato- Once you go sweet potato you’ll never look at plain old spuds in the same way again. Sweet potatoes can do anything a potato can and they offer up vitamin A, iron and fiber that ordinary potatoes can’t match.
- Spinach- This leafy green improves eye health and lowers your risk of heart disease. Want the benefits without the taste? Mix some in a blender along with fruit and you’ll never notice it’s there.
- Tomatoes- Eat them raw, cooked, combined or as homemade ketchup. No matter how you eat tomatoes, you can take comfort in knowing that you’re ingesting lycopenes that can reduce your risk of cancer.
Your chiropractic team knows that a healthy diet is the first step toward total wellness, and vegetables are the cornerstone of a healthy diet. Talk to your chiropractor about how many servings of veggies you need each day to stay strong and healthy.
Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician for all your health related advice.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.