Tension headaches don’t sound like much, but they can make your life miserable. If you and your ibuprofen bottle are both feeling overstressed, then it may be time to consider treating the problem at its source. Your chiropractor can help alleviate the discomfort associated with tension headaches and can perform adjustments to stop the pain from returning. Life with a tension headache can be miserable; here are a few ways that you can cope.
Traditional Tension Headache Treatments
Most people treat tension headaches on their own with over the counter medications like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, or caffeine. If you don’t get tension headaches very often, these options are probably right for you. However, if you’re suffering from tension headaches regularly, or if you have a health concern that puts you at risk for liver toxicity or other ailments, then you may want to consider alternative treatment methods.
Alternative Tension Headache Treatments
There are many ways to deal with tension headaches that don’t involve medication. Some of the most common treatments include:
- Massage therapy- Massage is an effective way to relieve the body of the stress that it’s carrying around, leading to increased relaxation and a decrease in headaches.
- Stress management therapy- Many people don’t have any idea how to rid their body of stress. Learning ways to channel your stress healthfully can send those headaches packing.
- Heat or ice therapy- Warming and cooling the muscles may relieve some of the tension that they’re carrying.
- Acupuncture- Acupuncture is enjoying resurgence in many wellness circles. Many studies have found that it’s an effective way to lower tension levels.
- Drinking more water- Believe it or not, tension headaches can be triggered by mild dehydration or hunger. Make sure you’re getting plenty of water and your headaches may become a thing of the past.
- Keeping a journal- Writing down what your daily activities can lead you to knowledge of what triggers your headaches. You can then take care to avoid those triggers in the future.
- Take it easy- Pay attention to times when you feel as if your stress level is rising and then make an effort to calm yourself down. This may take a little practice, but it’s a skill you can’t afford not to learn.
Your chiropractic team can help you overcome stress headaches. If your problem is related to a subluxation in the spine (as is often the case), your chiropractor will be able to correct the issue; additionally, he or she can work with you on a lifestyle plan to reduce the stress in your life.
We all have tension and stress in our lives. The key to overcoming them is to realize how to cope with them. Your chiropractic team can show you how to use stress to your advantage instead of letting it destroy your health.
Always consult your chiropractor or primary care physician for all your health related advice.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.